The Anti-Racism Programme offers a compelling way to use Canadian films to cover urgent topics such as inequality and racism with your class.
Featuring a series of interactive livestreams, students get the opportunity to engage in conversation with their peers from all across the country, and with filmmakers and other special guests.
All three livestreams showcase Canadian films that explore the topic of anti-racism, with a focus on Indigenous and Black perspectives. As always, the entire programme is completely free of charge. Here’s what we have in store:
Can’t make the date? You can watch a recorded version of the livestream on a date of your choice.
In addition to the livestreams, teachers also get:
- Access to the Canadian films discussed in each of the three livestreams
- A list of Bonus Films that can be borrowed to extend learning
- Lesson plans that connect the films and themes to the curriculum
- Resources to help teachers guide a discussion of sensitive content with students
All free of charge!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Register: Fill out our online registration form to book your spot
- Before the Livestream: Watch the film(s) with your students via streaming link or DVD provided by REEL CANADA
- Livestream: Log in to watch the online webcast LIVE, or watch a recording of it later
- Participate: From their own devices, students access our interactive platform to participate via polling questions, instant reactions, discussion threads, and more
Who can participate?
- Any publicly-funded school in Canada
- The entire programme is suitable for in-class or remote learning
- Watching a recording? Your students can still log in to our interactive platform to read and contribute to the discussion
- Available in English and French. Bilingual access to the livestreams will be available through subtitled recordings, and lesson plans are offered in both official languages
“There was total buy-in by students! The materials were exceptional. We did some really great thinking, discussing, and writing. Amazing. Thank you!”
-Teacher at Gloucester High School, ON, past Anti-Racism Programme participant