JOB POSTING: BILINGUAL FESTIVALS COORDINATOR – Toronto, ON
Posted: June 18, 2018
Deadline: Friday July 6, 2018
REEL CANADA (Canadian Film in the Schools) is hiring a bilingual, full-time festivals coordinator to begin work approximately August 20th.
REEL CANADA is a charitable not-for-profit that promotes the power and diversity of Canadian film through three core programmes: Our Films in Our Schools, Welcome to Canada and National Canadian Film Day. REEL CANADA builds audiences, encourages dialogue and provides an opportunity to celebrate Canada through the wonderful stories we tell.
Our organization thrives on a collaborative and friendly team atmosphere, and there is a lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth. The successful candidate has a passion for cinema and Canadian culture, and wants to make an important contribution to the cultural life of this country.
The festivals coordinator is a valuable member of our Festivals team, which is responsible for all aspects of festival planning and execution. The bilingual coordinator would be primarily responsible for French-language events and projects, although they would certainly need to work in English as well. The position is based in Toronto, and provides an exciting opportunity for occasional travel within Canada. While day-to-day work is done during regular office hours, event days generally require a very early start, and employees will occasionally be required to stay late in order to ensure that everything is prepared for upcoming events.
- Working closely with Artistic Director and fellow coordinators to shape each event as a project/event manager
- Working closely with partners across the country to plan both in-school events and National Canadian Film Day screenings
- Regularly (daily/weekly) updating production tracking documents
- Sharing planning tasks with other coordinators, including:
- Booking travel, crew and other festival-related staff/services
- Booking and communicating with filmmaker guests
- Running and assisting with festival events, including:
- Set-up, tear-down, event management and crew supervision
- Liaising with teachers and school staff, guests and industry professionals and REEL CANADA colleagues
- Assisting our Technical Director with all aspects of technical set-up, testing and show-running
- Following up with schools after festival events to collect feedback data
- Compiling information from the festival season for reports and proposals
- Creating internal and external supporting documents for festival purposes
- Your focus would be on French events across the country, but you would also be responsible for English language events and communications
- Occasional small translation jobs, as well as proofreading French materials
- Fully bilingual with the ability to speak and write professionally in both French and English
- Event management, production or coordination experience is a strong asset
- Experience/training in theatre production or stage management is a strong asset
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to manage a number of different projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Comfortable with fluid workflow and abstract thinking
- Flourish in a fast-paced work environment
- Being both a team player and a self-starter
- Strong attention to detail and meticulous performance
- Valid Driver’s Licence is an asset
- Tech and A/V experience is an asset
- Database management is an asset
REEL CANADA is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process according to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] noting the position in the subject heading. We thank all who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.